Sunday, July 18, 2010

Praise Tom Jones

○○○○●

NORMALLY if the thought of a grizzled old Welshman excites you, you’d probably be a grizzled old Welshwoman.
But everyone should make an exception for Tom Jones - who for the hundredth-odd time has come back with the cool once again with new album Praise And Blame.
A tour through a collection of spiritual American standards from Johnny Cash-esque confessionals like What Good Am I? to the pumped up numbers like Don’t Knock, Jones strips back his art to its most exposed, raw sound yet - Sex Bomb this ain’t.
Instead it's something fresh, something challenging and something progressive, and I applaud Jones for doing it.

2 comments:

  1. Tom Jones has consistently surprised me, and I'm glad to hear that he's found yet another new musical area to explore. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. I have to say I approached the LP with trepidation, but I was pretty much blown away, especially by the slower numbers - it's something I've never heard him do before.

    ReplyDelete

Something to say? Leave a comment below, no swearing please, or head across to the forum, Sound Off, at http://soundoff.forumotion.com


● All blog posts published on this site are owned by myself, Isaac Ashe, and may not be reproduced without written permission. You have no right to copy.