Monday, September 14, 2009

Lost in translation?

○○○●●

A LEADING light of the African musical powerhouse that is Mali, Bassekou Kouyate's forthcoming I Speak Fula is the follow-up to Segu Blue, the album that launched him internationally.
And on top of his success, Kouyate is now well-known outside Africa's shores for his work with artists including Carlos Santana, Franz Ferdinand and U2.
However despite the pedigree, the latest LP from the ngoni player and his backing band Ngoni Ba remains relatively impenetrable to my ears.
Though pleasant, the combination of the banjo-like ngonis and Fula singing, energetic as it is, fails to move me quite as I was told it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to say? Leave a comment below, no swearing please, or head across to the forum, Sound Off, at http://soundoff.forumotion.com


● All blog posts published on this site are owned by myself, Isaac Ashe, and may not be reproduced without written permission. You have no right to copy.